Saturday, September 1, 2012

Blog Cheat (poem)

So far, I've done all my blogs in one sitting, the night I posted them, and published them with a quick review, though they were basically rough drafts.  This week, I knew what I wanted to write about and that it would be complex and layered, and I wanted it to be just right.  I started working on it last night.....and I'm still only on paragraph #3, barely started on the content, and stuck.  Now I have to punt.  So I'm pulling out one of my old pieces of poetry, one of the very few that I'd ever share with the world, to keep me on the Saturday-night posting deadline.  Even as important as that goal is to me, I'm having trouble clicking that "publish" button; I play my life with a game face, and putting my poetry out there feels dangerous, like I just showed my cards.  But here it goes....


Witness

I bow down at the Church of Words;
Strong nouns and verbs are my prayer.
With precise adjectives I'll win their souls,
And the Host will heal all split infinitives.

I lead a choir of vivid characterization.
We praise the fresh and beautifully spoken.
On our altars we light flames of feeling
And lay wreaths of shining phrases.

I carry the cross of words.
Pain is my rosary, passion my crown of thorns.
The poems pierce my hands and sides
But I fear only a wordless God.

                 cjw 1996

No comments:

Post a Comment