Saturday, November 9, 2013

The Writing on the Wall

I was deleting some of my old files off the school server the other day when I came across a document named "Bathroom Rant."  I had forgotten it until I opened it and started
reading.  The document was dated five years ago, and I remember making a two-page poster of it and posting it in the bathroom in our new wing after the first time someone defaced it.   Before deleting it, I printed it out so that I could record it here.  It seemed like a good topic for a short blog. 

Ladies:

For 7 years we have enjoyed this bathroom in practically the same condition as when it was new.

The stall doors work, the sinks have good water pressure, the soap and towel dispensers produce their products efficiently, and we have nice mirrors to primp in.

Please, do not feel you need to add to this.  Your written comments as to who is "hott" (or "nott")  are of no interest to the rest of us.  We would like to continue to enjoy a clean, neat environment where we can contemplate our own thoughts, not yours.

You may certainly express them elsewhere, though.  Might I suggest, an essay?  Then you may truly rhapsodize over your love in a pure and beautiful way, free forever from associations with toilets and all that they imply.

Thank you for reading.

Ms. Welker

(P.S.  This is the ONLY think I have ever "written" on a bathroom wall, which I will continue to be proud of.)

It's only now, long after the fact, that I realize the futility of my rant:  anyone silly enough to write "So-and-so is hott" on a bathroom wall wouldn't read past the first line.  But I felt better after putting it up, I know.  

It'll always be a mystery to me, why young people feel compelled to deface property in any way----but especially writing their love's name in a toilet stall.  Shakespeare could've made something funny out of the topic.  It just makes me aggravated that we haven't come any further than that as a society. 

No comments:

Post a Comment