Saturday, June 15, 2013

Wipe(d) Out

I am spent.  Mostly, I've spent the last six hours in chaos.  I came to the ranch yesterday to help out with house/baby duty while hay-baling was in high gear.  I did pretty well yesterday; washing some clothes, did some dishes, fed and bathed Allie, and read her a couple of books before her mom was able to come finish putting her down for the night.

Today started off fine; Allie and I slept in until 7:45 while everyone else was working cattle.  We had some breakfast, played, read some books, watched a little Disney Junior, had lunch, and commiserated with Cole when he came in the house to change because he got kicked in both knees by a cow, landing in what we euphemistically call a whole lot of "fresh."  Allie went down for a nap just before a thunderstorm rolled in, putting us both to sleep.  After 30-40 minutes, I woke up and found that Sheri and Cole had come in and cleaned up.  It was relatively peaceful until Allie woke up, and suddenly everything went to crap.

     1)  Allie knocked over my cup of sugar-free Hawaiian Punch (fruit juicy red) on the light blue carpet.

     2)  The upstairs air conditioner, scheduled to be replaced within a week, decided to flood the carpet in the hallway and one bedroom.

     3)  I picked up one of my protein shakes off an end table where I had set it down a few minutes earlier and tried to give it a good shake.....not realizing I had forgotten to put the lid back on.  Another mess to clean up.  Strawberry protein gunk on toys, couch, carpet.  Allie's Daisy Duck from the Disney store bore the brunt, I'm afraid.  And in case you didn't know, spot-cleaning a protein shake on a plush toy is like trying to wipe an egg off of a paper towel.  There's gonna be some crusty residue.

     4)  I accidentally let some secret information out.

     5)  Allie developed a fever and didn't want any dinner, didn't want to play in the bath, didn't even want her usual books at bedtime.  (No, technically I wasn't responsible for this, but I felt bad for her.)

Except for Cole getting hurt and Allie going to bed sick, it was really a comedy of errors, and I felt like the lowest-ranking jester.  To top it, I know I was working over something really witty in my head earlier this week for tonight's blog, but as usual, I made no notes, and now I'm so fried I can't remember what it was.  Plus, I have the rest of that shake AND the Hawaiian Punch (fruit juicy red) sitting on a table ABOVE me and my sister's laptop I'm writing on.  I think you'll understand why I really have to sign off right now.


1 comment:

  1. Yikes...I'm just glad you survived the day! Here's to better days ahead.

    ReplyDelete