Saturday, March 16, 2013

Nyquil Blues

Am I the only person who remembers----or maybe has ever heard----that awesome ditty of the cold and flu season?

     "Give me a bottle of Nyquil,
     That restful sleep my body needs.
     Oh-h-h, give me a bottle of Nyquil,
     That restful sleep my-y-y body needs.
     Analgesic decongestant,
     With an antihistamine."

I've known that odd tune for something like 30 years.  I don't think I ever took the stuff, though, since I rarely ever got sick.  My sharpest memory of it was when we discovered that my brother, around eight or nine at the time, had taken almost a whole bottle in a week's time; he'd been dosing himself up every night, having somehow discovered that it knocked him out.  Thankfully, we found out early enough that we didn't need to stage an intervention or send him off to rehab.

This week, I actually bought a pill version of the generic Nyquil to try to keep me from coughing and thrashing all night.  Results are mixed.  Maybe I should have taken the stuff sooner; this is going on the third week of recurring respiratory crap.  But with blood pressure meds, one can't be too careful; lots of things don't mix, so I usually try to tough it out or go to the doctor for meds.

But there's nothing to be done about it tonight, except take the last of the pills and hope for the best.  My head is roaring, but as long as I don't talk, breathe, or exert myself, it's all good.   Oh, and it's the beginning of spring break: having the respiratory ick is JUST how I wanted to spend my week!

Hope yours is full of delight, and that you can toddle off to sleep without a stiff swig of
alcohol.  Just sing a chorus of the "Nyquil Blues" for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment