Saturday, November 24, 2012

Is Print Dead, Really?

The end of another school break is looming.  Looking back at the week, I realize that I've spent quite a bit of time reading, especially during a short stay in Branson with my sister's family.  I took along a stack of magazines to catch up on, some dating as far back as May, as well as a couple of books.  The magazines were all, in fact, my beloved Newsweek, which recently announced that it would be no longer produce print copies after the end of this year, to my horror.  Truly, I felt as if a good friend were dying.  Though it will live on in digital form, I don't plan on renewing my subscription.  Reading a magazine is meant to be a tactile, mobile experience.  And no, I don't have a laptop or Ipad.  I prefer my reliable desktop.  So goodbye, Newsweek. 

I've heard "Print is dead" as far back as one of my favorite movies, The Big Chill, using the line in the early 80's.  I couldn't understand why anyone would say such a thing then---but I was in the middle of earning a couple of degrees in English at that time.  The politics of media not only were of no interest to me; I didn't in the least understand it all then.  Even now, I'd be hard pressed to articulate the issues.  I just knew that I loved books, as did a fair number of people in the world, so how could print ever be dead?  I just blew it off as some self-important Hollywood posturing.  Today I wonder if they knew how prophetic that line would be.  Thirty years of home technology have made it a virtual certainty.

When e-readers arrived on the scene, I reacted on a gut level....literally.  My stomach would clench up like a street fighter ready to take all comers at the very mention of a Kindle, and I would make the same silly statement each time:  "They'll pry my books from my cold, dead hands!"  Melodramatic much?  Well, yes.  But it was no less heartfelt for being so....cliche.  If anyone was willing to listen, I would try to appeal to the sensory pleasure of reading:  the weight of the book, the smell of the pages, the sound of turning each page in anticipation while reading in my grandmother's lap, or alone in a quiet house, or in front of a fire, or up in my dry, hot summer bedroom in the South Dakota house.  All my life, I've never been far from the comfort of a book I was reading, and the thought of not having one to retreat to is, to say the least, unnerving. 

Yet some of my friends who are devoted bibliophiles have converted to e-readers, up to and including our semi-retired school librarian, who will extol the virtues of books at any time, but who is no snob when it comes to technology, either.  She encouraged me for years to listen to audiobooks on my commute and has been working on my attitude toward e-readers for quite some time now.   She knows my objections....and also where to hit me so it counts, having recently pointed out that I can have thousands of books on a reader, but I can only carry around so many at a time.  Ha:  my rotator-cuff-cranky right shoulder can't manage the giant purses I used to carry around, stuffed with junk and at least one or two books.  Yes, Joan knew that the book-glutton brain I function with would sparkle with excitement at the idea of having any book I wanted on my person at any time. 

Still, I can't see how we benefit as a society without hard copy books.  Even my students know that.  In the last couple of years, it has become apparent that eventually school textbooks are going to be viewed as insupportable and completely cost-ineffective compared to on-line textbooks.  They'll become dinosaurs; it's just a matter of when.  Our administration has been pushing in that direction for a couple of years, and I've voiced my opinion many times about what a bad choice I believe it to be.  This fall, they asked us to review some new free/low-cost on-line books and to feel out how the students viewed the idea.  I didn't even get a chance to bring up the discussion; that very morning in my first class, one girl mentioned off-handedly that she didn't like reading on-line (I think it was regarding a little research project they were doing), and when I asked them about the idea of on-line texts as a follow-up, they practically shouted me down.  According to them, they couldn't see as well on a computer, it was harder to read for a longer period of time, and many of them don't have internet access at home. You can imagine that I was gratified by their response.....especially so, since I found five errors in the very first sample sentence I read in the grammar text, proving another cliched adage:  You get what you pay for. 

With all that said, I must make a confession.  I noted I had issues of Newsweek to read going as far back as May, although in truth, it was just one random copy that somehow got thrown aside and overlooked.  Most were from the last three months, maybe five issues.  With the up-to-the-minute reporting it's known for, you might wonder why, if the mag is so important to me, I had them piled up like that.  Yes, I'm busy, but I do have maybe an hour or so an evening when I could be reading.  Why don't I read them then?  Oh, well....it's because.....I'm usually on the computer, or maybe watching a show I DVRed earlier. 

That's right.  The e-reader snob doesn't read anymore because she's spending her time with technology. 

And the reason I WAS reading this week (though I didn't realize it until later)?  I was away from home....and my computer.....and my DVR.  I fell back on my print habit because I had no technology.

Ironic?  Yes.  But at least I learned the meaning of irony by reading books:  gloriously heavy books full of pages and inky words and that dusty feel of the paper, the smell of libraries and coffee and cigarettes faintly tracing the margins, the crinkling onion skin or sandpapery heavyweight deckle edge replying to our thoughts at each turn of the page.  That's reading; that's a book. 

3 comments:

  1. A couple of years ago I bought my wife Jeanette a Kindle. Then a few months later she bought me a Nook. I read a few of her books on the Kindle and a few on my Nook. Today Jeanette still keeps her Kindle electronically active. My Nook's battery ran down from sitting unused.

    How do you mark up a Nook Book? I know, I know, you can "underline" things on a Nook. But in a real book you can find the dogeared page and your underlined part and maybe the note you wrote in the margin. You can even scan the page and print out the part you like. Try that with a Nook or a Kindle.

    But that's not my big complaint about electronic readers. When you finish a real book, you can put it on your bookshelf, step back and admire it along with the wonderful diversity of the covers of the other books on the shelf. BUT EVERY BOOK YOU READ ON A KINDLE OR NOOK LOOKS LIKE A KINDLE OR A NOOK!

    Bob McQuitty, friend of the author

    ReplyDelete
  2. My intense love of reading came from my oldest sister, Nora. I can remember sprawling across the bed while she read Little Women to the rest of us. I remember crying when Beth died. (Hope that wasn't a spoiler!) My whole family laughs at me because for years one of my mantras has been "Books are our friends". This came about because some thoughtless person mistreated one of my books and I was appalled. I cannot imagine a life without being able to read.

    So, when that same sister bought a Kindle when they first came out-I was shocked. And saddened. And confused. How could she turn her back on the printed page? How could she give up holding, smelling, breathing in the smell of a book? And, then, she brought her Kindle to our sister retreat. She showed me how it "worked" and let me use it for awhile. I. Was. Hooked. I couldn't wait to get my own. Finally, several months later, Dennis bought one for me. I have said many times that it is the best gift I ever received.

    Why did I make the jump? I love having access to hundreds of books in one little device. I have finished many books and eagerly downloaded the next in the series in a matter of minutes. I don't have to wait to go to the library or to the bookstore-it is right there for me. I can go on a trip and take ALL of my books in my purse. Who knows what I will feel like reading next?

    Have I given up my "real" books? NO! The books I love and treasure will always be in my home. I still buy some books in printed form. I can switch back and forth from e-reader to printed page and enjoy both experiences. I still buy printed books for the children in my extended family.

    I take advantage of the underlining and bookmarking features on my Kindle and go back to them often. I can share on Facebook and Twitter. (I know, more evil technology!)

    I guess I said all that to say that I find there is room for both in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. McQ, you're the one who taught me it was OK to write in a book---that you truly owned a book only when you marked in it. I've been marking up books, up to and including my Bible, ever since.

    V, your comments were just what I was getting at. I want to hate technology......but I just can't get there. It will take some doing to get me on an e-reader, though. Books are my last true vice when it comes to shopping, and I'm not likely to give that up as long as I have eyes to read with. :-)

    ReplyDelete