Saturday, August 4, 2012

A Short Letter to Dan

Dear Mr. Dan Cathy:

Gosh, it's been a busy couple of weeks, hasn't it?  Of course, being the COO of a company like Chick-fil-A, pulling down $4 billion a year in profits, must always keep you hopping.  With that much business at stake, it stands to reason that once in a while, there will be some decisions or statements made that one might wish to rescind.   I humbly submit that you made one big fat whopping one here recently. 

Oh, I have no objection to your opinion on the "Biblical" definition of marriage.  You were asked straight-out about it, in a Christian media interview---I'm sure that you felt you HAD to make such a statement or risk being called on the carpet by some far right listeners.  Such is the divisive nature of the American cultural landscape these days.  No doubt about it:  it was not a good situation to be in.  Nevertheless, there you were.  And THAT is the mistake you made.

I cannot fathom what it must be like to run your family empire; I have enough to worry about just keeping my own little life on track.  However, I come from a family of small business owners, and as a result, I can't remember a time when I wasn't on notice that anyone who traded with us could note what I said or did and see it as a reflection of my parents'  business practice.  No, it wasn't an over-inflated sense of self-importance that led me to this understanding; it's what I was taught.  We weren't to talk politics, money, or religion to anyone, because we lived in a tiny community where the majority of the residents traded at our agribusiness.   To make pronouncements on what was "right" or "wrong" in our opinions would run the risk of offending our customers, who were also our friends and neighbors.  Besides, who were we to pass judgement?   This standard was so pervasive in our lives that we didn't even discuss politics in our home, other than an odd comment here and there about county commissioners, the most hot-seat position to be had in rural government. 

I would have assumed that you had been raised somewhat the same, before recent events proved differently.  I've eaten at your restaurants for years with full knowledge that your corporate foundation is influenced by your beliefs in a couple of positive ways:  your excellent customer service and your admirable decision to close on Sundays.  Those policies quite adequately reflect your mission statement "to have a positive influence on all who come in contact with Chick-fil-A," both customers and employees.  Obviously, it has worked very well, considering the growth of your company. 

So why, WHY was it required for you to be interviewed regarding your personal values?  Did you lose sight of your customers---ALL your customers---when you had that opportunity to pronounce "God's judgement on our nation"?  It's perfectly within your rights to drink the Kool-Aid, Mr. Cathy.  But you can no more choose the lifestyle of your customers (and all other citizens) than you can choose from your menu and order for them----and that's what you're doing if you make public statements about your personal values and link them to your corporate values.   Citizens United be darned:  if you want to stay in business, a corporation doesn't have a voice or values outside of their business mission.

I'm a heterosexual liberal Christian, and I've neither picketed, banned, nor patronized Chick-fil-A since all this took place.  I'm not sure what I'll do in the future, but I do know that until the fervor dies down, I won't go near it.    There must be millions more out there like me, and we all affect your bottom line.  In your corporate interest, maybe you could re-think your statements more carefully from here.  After all, Jesus loves chicken.....AND homosexuals.  Don't you agree?

Sincerely,

Cathy (that lady who only orders nuggets, Polynesian sauce, and diet lemonade)

No comments:

Post a Comment